Car Dude
Car Dude, Mechanic
Experience:  15 Years of troublshooting cars and being a mobile mechanic.

how do you replace 2003 hyundai xg350 timing belt

how do you replace 2003 hyundai xg350 timing belt?
Category: Car
Expert:  Car Dude replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer.. here are some directions for the timing belt. This will help.

3.0L & 3.5L Engines
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
    Engine coolant
    Water pump pulley bolts
    Alternator bolt, loosen only
    Water pump pulley and drive belts
    Crankshaft pulley
    Timing belt cover(s)

4. Turn the crankshaft until the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head are aligned.
  5. Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt and turn the tensioner counterclockwise as far as it will go. Tighten the adjusting bolt.
  6. Mark the timing belt with an arrow showing direction of rotation.
  7. Remove the timing belt.
  8. If defective, remove the timing belt tensioner.

9. graphic

Fig. Timing belt sprocket alignment mark positioning for belt removal and installation-3.0L and 3.5L engine

To install:

1. If necessary, install the timing belt tensioner.
  2. Attach the top of the tensioner spring on the engine coolant pump pin. Ensure the hook on the pin is facing down and the hook on the tensioner is facing away from the engine
  3. Rotate the timing belt tensioner to the extreme counterclockwise position. Temporarily lock the tensioner in place.
  4. Align the timing marks of the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.
  5. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket, then onto the rear camshaft sprocket.
  6. Route the belt to the coolant pump pulley, the front camshaft sprocket and the timing belt tensioner.
  7. Apply force counterclockwise to the rear camshaft sprocket with tension on the tight side of the belt and check that timing marks are aligned.
  8. Loosen the tensioner bolt 1-2 turns and tighten the timing belt to a tension of 57-84 lbs. (260-380 N).
  9. Turn the crankshaft two turns clockwise.
  10. Readjust the sprocket timing marks and tighten the tensioner bolts.
  11. Install the timing belt covers.
  12. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten to 108-116 ft. lbs. (150-160 Nm).
  13. Install or connect the following:

Timing belt cover(s)
    Crankshaft pulley
    A/C compressor belt
    Water pump pulley
    V belt
    Negative battery cable
    Engine with coolant
Car Dude, Mechanic
Experience: 15 Years of troublshooting cars and being a mobile mechanic.