jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Year 2000. Air con not working, compressor

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Year 2000. Air con not working, compressor does not appear to run. Checked refrigerant gas pressure just over 1 bar ,with system at rest, no change with engine running. Is there a way of checking if electrical power is being applied to compressor clutch. Any help would be appreciated. I do have a refridgeration engineer in the family.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
The pressures on the gauge only change if the compressor comes on. You may check the voltage at the compressor , but you most likely won't have any, that's why it's not coming on.
1. What you have to do is to evacuate the refrigerant to see what amount you get out of it. The pressure gauge may show that there is pressure in the system, but if there is not enough freon in there, the compressor won't come on. To do this, you will need a special A/C mahine.
If the system is low, there must be a leak somewhere that would have to be repaired before recharging the system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you jan73 for your reply ref my Skoda Octavia air con problem.Yes we can evacuate the system and check the weight of the recovered gas.The info I have states the system should be recharged with 750 grams of gas, this we can also do. What sort of pressure would you expect this to give at ambient temperature? I assume from what you say that my air con system must have some form of LP/HP switch or detector in the control circuit of the compressor clutch, if so any idea were this is fitted on the Octavia?.

It will probably be a day or so before we can check out the above but I will get back to you with the results and arrange payment. Once again thanks.Customer

Well, I am not exactly sure where the switch is located. The low pressure switch is in the low pressure line (thicker pipe). If you follow along the piping, you should be able to locate it.
The pressure is irrelevant when the system is not operating, pressures only important under normal operating conditions.