Matt, Mechanic
Experience:  10yrs auto, diesel and small engine mechanics training and work. Diploma in engine repair.
18304450

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi FTO 2000cc DOHC GR,and when the car

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi FTO 2000cc DOHC GR,and when the car starts a loud tapping sound can be heard coming from the engine, one mechanics says it being caused by leakage from one of the plug wires and another says it's from the lifters.. and seiing this is my first time with a mitsubishi vehicle I would like to know what is causing that sound and what can be done to stop it..
Thank you keindly
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure what the one mechanic meant about leakage from one of your plug wires unless he was saying the wire had become worn out and was arcing onto the engine or if he meant there was blowby on your plug. What you can do to test this yourself is to park the car in a dark area or wait until nighttime. Raise the hood. With the car running you should see a blue sparking around the plug wire if that is what is bad. You can also touch them and get shocked if that is what is bad. Next if you want to rule out any blowby on a plug hole, take a small piece of paper and lay it on each plug area while the engine is running. If the plug hole is blowing by, the paper will blow out (be sure to not let the cooling fan blow the paper to give a false reading). If both of these check out ok, then the other mechanic talking about lifters is right. The lifters allowing for what is known as "valve tapping" is the most common noise like that anyway. Hope this helps. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so about the lifters what can I do about that,how does one go about dealing with such noise if it's caused by hte lifters
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
You could be looking at a few things in the lifter department. First you will want to check the oil level. Low oil level can cause lifter tapping. Second you may want to check the oil breakdown. If its been a while on oil changes, its a good idea to change it. Oil breakdown can cause poor lubrication of the valves. Third you will want to check for good oil pressure and to make sure the oil is getting to the top of the engine. A worn oil pump can cause poor oil flow to the top of the engine and not allowing for proper lubrication. And the last two are more costly. You may be looking at a worn timing belt which is allowing for impromper valve operation or you could be looking at needing the valves adjusted which would be a smaller job than a timing belt. Both of these should be done by someone experienced. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TAHNKS, FOR YOUR INFO THUS FAR, ANOTHER THING HOW MUCH OIL DOES A 2000cc DOHC ENGINE NEEDS i PUT ABOUT 5GUARTS IN ALREADY, THE DIP STICK IS SHOWING THAT THE OIL LEVEL IS OK,WHAT WOULD HAPEN IF THERE IS TWO MUCH OIL IF THERE ENGINGE?
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
You should be looking at 4.5qts unless you changed the filter. If there is a little bit of extra oil you don't have to worry much. Having alot of extra oil could create excessive oil pressure and cause gasket failure which would lead to a leak. .5qt is most likely not going to cause you any trouble. If the stick reads ok then you should be fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU I"LL LOOK INTO THESE AND TRY AND SEE IF THEY HELPS
THANK YOU
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Always glad to help.