Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

2001 olds: AWD..transfer case would leak out.What is the remedy..diff

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Olds.Bravada AWD with the 4.2 liter engine.While driving starting at 20mph it starts making whining noises in the front differential.As vehicle speed increases the noise gets louder.Its not the motor cause while coasting the noise is there.We wanted to remove the front driveshaft and drive it to see if the noise goes away but the fluid from transfer case would leak out.What is the remedy for this noise besides replacing the front diff.assembly ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Are we sure the noise is coming from the front differential. There has also been issues with the transfer case chains on these units.

I am also wondering if you have had a opportunity to raise the vehicle in the air and drive it to verify the location of the noise?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We had it up in the air and with a stetoscope my boss listened while I drove it and the noise is definitely coming from the front differential.We are both Toyota master techs.we just are not familiar with GM products.

Thank You

Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

O.K. Sorry. There are no TSB's or campaigns on this unit. You are diagnosing correctly, and the next step would be to crack the unit open and see what is worn. Yes, I know, not a 15 minute job; however, this is the next phase. These units do wear and get quite noisey if not serviced when required. Have replaced them with as little as 80,000 miles on them. {live in Mtn's get used alot}

If it follows typical G.M., then synth fluid will not help. The damage is done.

Sorry guys.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anyway to delete the front diff.from the picture ? Like removing front driveshaft and somehow plugging the hole in the transfer case ? What about installing manual locking hubs so that in free mode the axles are not turning ?
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

No. When you do that, you reconfigure the whole system, and the traction control and antilock won't know what to do in a situation when it is expecting the AWD to kick in.

Other than installing a 2WD transmission and disabeling the traction and ABS. Too much money for the lousy out come,