Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

97 GMC Suburban: 4wd..vibration..drive shaft..I bought new tires

Customer Question

I have a '97 GMC Suburban 4wd with a vibration. I have balanced the drive shaft,had a new one made, and had new universals installed. I bought new tires, had a new transmission mount installed [that changed the vibration a little bit], but I still have the vibrating between 56 and 70 mph that you can feel on the floor and hear as a whirring noise. The steering wheel doesn't seem to be involved. There is a whine in the rear end that is probably gear. I need some expert advice on where to look next for a solution to my problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like the rear itself is damaged internally the worn gears inside will cause the noise and allow the driveshaft to become unbalanced id have the rear looked at next