Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Re-certified Technician, 22 yrs. Dealer and Independent Repair World Class High Performance Expe

1995 suzuki swift: the TPS which didnt change the way the engine runs

Customer Question

I have a 1995 suziki swift engine for the power plant in a hovercraft. I need to know where to hook up the purple and white wire that comes from the computer. I recently replace the TPS which didn't change the way the engine runs (which means the old one is still good).
Category: Car
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 4 years ago.
Hello Rebel, and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to answer your question fully, and the more detailed information about the problem that you can provide, the faster I can answer. Any time you have any questions, need service information, or any diagrams, please ask. I'll do my best to answer your question, yet I don't get paid until you accept. Anytime you would like another opinion, let me know. I'll give this one a shot. Where are these wires located?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the purple wire with the white stripe goes to the computer, the other end is cut off....I just need to know if it goes to anything related to the fuel system or ignition or to a hot or ground lead. The engine is REALLY jerry rigged....I didn't do it otherwise I would have marked it if I was going to cut it. I don't have any wiring diagrams for it.
What are the performance issues? Explain.
I also have wiring diagrams for every year of Suzuki made for sale in the US.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Starts and idles good, will only get up to about 1/2 power. I replaced the TPS after testing it, no change in the performance.
This may be a timing issue, plugged exhaust, or a control issue. Is this a US sold hover? Military maybe? Does the craft have a label, as well as model number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just came back in from checking the computer....the jack ass spliced the purple & white wire into the (small computer control plug) yellow and brown wire. So where is the yellow & brown wire suppose to go to? The hovercraft is a home built one. I'll never buy a homebuilt hover again.....should have built it myself....but noooo, this was such a great deal....not really. The Swift engine is either American or Canadain. Exhaust good,....only a short pipe from manifold to muffler. I didn't think about the timing.....belt or chain could've skipped a tooth? or control shot?
I can help. Should be pretty close to the early Swifts. Let me know when you are able to access the MONSTER, and I will try.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It'll be a few days before I'll be able to get to the timing belt cover to check the timing.....what about the yellow & brown wire?
Any idea what year the endine and computer are?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine is suppose to be out of an 1995 Swift along with the computer.
HERE are the wiring diagrams in .pdf format.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think that the cut brown & white wire have something to do with it?I also noticed from the wiring diagrams that the TPS only has 3 terminals.....while the one on the engine has 4. So either it's the wrong wiring diagram or it's not a 1995 Swife engine.....That's the info. I used when I bought an air filter for it and got the right one.
That TPS uses ONLY terminals 1,3 and 4. As supplied in the diagrams.
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Re-certified Technician, 22 yrs. Dealer and Independent Repair World Class High Performance Expe
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh...OK thanks, XXXXX XXXXX out here so it'll be awhile before I can get back to trouble shooting the beast.
I'll be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK.....It'll be a few days before I'll be able to get back to working on the hovercraft, I'll try all the leads (timing and wiring) that you gave me. If that dosesn't work I'll just log back on for more info. pay the required fees and once the beast is running right....you most definley will get a bonus for all the help. I'll save this e-mail so the right person(s) will get credit for it. Thanks again.....Phil
Just respond to this e-mail to reach me. If you have a timing lite, you may want to check to see if the timing is advancing at least 28 degrees from TDC when under acceleration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The timing cover only gose up to 20 degrees...I was just wondering, Is there a company that makes conversion kits/adapters where I can put on just a good `ol carberator and do away with the throttle body and computer, I don't care if I would have to buy a new carberator for it or whatever else I would have to buy for it to convert it? The hovercraft doesn't need to be street leagle...I'd like the engine to be as simple as possible to work on.
In 1988, Suzuki made a carbureted version of the 1.3. in the Samurai. I don't know if the carb from there would be a direct bolt on. You may have to purchase the intake with the carb and also the distributor as well. I can supply service info for that platform as well.
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem buying an intake, carb. and distributor if it works...it would be a bitch if I spent all the money on those items and it didn't work....who would know for sure that it would work?
The 1.3 engine that Suuzuki has been using is identical for every year used. So, yes, it will work. You will have to rewire the distributor with the ignitor for that year, 1988
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any idea where I can pick up the parts other than trying all the junk yards. I just tried the dealership with no luck. I don't care if I get aftermarket parts as long as they'll work. I could try Webber as far as the carb. goes
Google "find used auto parts" There are several sites that do this free of cahrge, and you will have an answer in minutes.
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well......here we go again...still the same prob.,my friend wants to try to fix it using the throttle body, b-4 trying to modifie it using a carb. Tried using the wiring diagram that you all sent to us but wire placement to computer is different on the plug....ie. Wiring diagram shows brown/yellow wire pin # XXXXX actual # XXXXX on and so forth.....but not your fault. We were told the engine was a 1995.....Suzuki dealer service man told me the only year that Suzuki use Denso computers in their vehicles was 1992 (my computer in this beast is an Denso, here's the # XXXXX of it 33920-63E10)...you heard of this? Well, any way...do you have the wiring diagram for an 1992 Swift? A complete one showing where every single wire from the computer goes to.....and the pin position. I also need a diagram for the vacuum lines.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Different hover craft....my buddys hovercraft has a 1996 Subaru Outback Legacy 2.5 L, twin cam, fuel injected engine in it. The hovercraft flipped over so the engine was submereged under fresh water for over 5 hours b-4 we were able to flip it back over. Engine was running good b-4 the flip....since then we've changed the oil & filters, took the plugs out and blew out the water, drained the gas out of the tank and lines, then bled the air out of the fuel lines, cleaned all the electrical connections and sensors, changed the ECU, changed the plugs, checked the timing marks which were right by the book we have (since it's been hard to start now) and when we've tried starting it...it kicks back really bad. When we do get it to run, it's black smoke, and we have to play with the throttle to keep it running...if we keep the throttle just where it use to run good at idle, it dies and kicks back....we get a back fire every once in a while too....also check the new plugs and they were wet with fuel.