JacobTD
JacobTD, Mechanic
Experience:  12 Years First hand
19108227

Diesel engine..sat..fresh fuel and a clean air filter..fuel filters

I have a diesel engine that has sat for 18 months, and now it will not start. It has fresh fuel and a clean air filter. I plan on changing the oil and fuel filters, would those alone keep it from starting?
Category: Car
Expert:  JacobTD replied 7 years ago.
Your best bet would be to make sure the diesel system is primed. What you should do is unscrew each injector, make sure to cover well with a rag, becasue it will spray everywhere. What you are looking for is that the diesel is getting past the injection pump. With diesels there can be 0 air in the line. if you get all your lines spraying at the injectors. simply screw them back up and you should be able to get it started. You asked would air or fuel filters keep it from running; air filter will not, fuel filter is possible, but more likely if you have a water seperator that would.