Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2004 Mazda 6: sport..wagon..the dash lights blink 3 times..tachometer

I have a 2004 Mazda 6 Sportswagon and when turning the ignition then all the dash lights blink 3 times then the dials (speedomter & tachometer) flip from left to right once.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok so does the car run and did you check the fuses in the under hood fuse box and in car sounds like a blown fuse or weak battery issue
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Horn does not blow. Unaware of location under the hood for fuses but only know of the one by the foot rest of left side of driver seat. Car does not even crank.

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok definately sounds like a fuse issue did you have anything done to the car recently aftermarket radio did someone hook the battery up backwards possibly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of the above but have noticed the security key when arming the alarm with 2nd depression of the key fob button did not activate the horn as it normally does. Done that the last two days but ran fine yesterday.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I suspect a fuse but is there any way to determine the most likely one to check outSealed
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok usually theres a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse in the underhood fuse box id check al fuses in the under hood fuse box to be sure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the under hood fuse commonly located? Toward firewall, left or right fender ??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got the manual out answered it there let me look and will reply within 10 minutes
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Checked every single fuse in both the cab and engine compartment and not a one is broke. That likley would involve a relay then wouldn't it?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Yes do you have any fuses that look like a block in the under hood fuse box says 40 amp on plastic window and the horn fuse is good
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There were several matching that description I am going back and forth between the car and the computer. up and down stairs in a condo. Will check back with you in a minute or so.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok also a bad battery could be so weak it wont accept a jump and cause this problem there not even a little click when trying to start
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I get the click and blinking when starting with the lights on the dash console lights then the dials go over just once.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok sounds like the battery has bad cells and will cause all these issues id try a battery first
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it possible it will take jump?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
You can try but let the other car run for like 10 minutes with the cables attached to yours it still might not accept the charge
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician