Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

Where is the fuel pump on a 2002 cavalier 2 door .

Customer Question

where is the fuel pump on a 2002 cavalier 2 door .i am not getting fuel could it be the filter and the connection how do i change that pump or how do i diagnose this problem
Submitted: 7 years ago via Automotix.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Hello Trapper,

Your Cavilier fuel pump, as you know, is in the fuel tank. The tank will need to be dropped to access the pump. Imports {most European and Asian} are accessible from the back seat or trunk. To this day, I can't figure out why the domestics can not do that.

We can run electrical tests if you would like, but first I need to know if the eigth digit of the VIN {reading left to right} is 4 or F for the correct diagram. To access most of this check, you will need to raise the vehicle and suppurt it enough to get under the rear safely enough.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a 4
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

O.K. First off, I need you to check the F/P-INJ fuse in the dash fuse box 15amp. If that is good, then the Gray wire going to the fuel pump needs to be checked for voltage while cranking, and a ground signal on the black wire.

If you have voltage and ground, smack the tank with a rubber mallot when cranking and see if kicks on.

I am here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will try your sugestion,i am looking for the drop down box to accept your work
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.
I was waiting for you to do the check, but here it is. Please be careful and support the vehicle. NEVER trust a jack!
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Received a message of "Smacked the Tank" was mot sure if it was you. If not, do not reply until your ready.