JD, Vehicle Repair Consultant
Experience:  10+ years working on vehicles

how to change transmission fluid on 2000 eclipse

Category: Car
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

Below are the replacement procedures for your vehicle's ATF. Let me know if you need further assistance with this repair.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does it require an additive
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.
Manufacturer recommends Diamond ATF SP-II or Diamond ATF SP-II M ATF. No additives are needed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to ask so many questions but i read where it said to upgrade to sp-3. I'm asking cause I had tranny flushed and i don't know if they used sp2 or 3 or ATF-4 cause it's been shifting rough ever since and now i have the 2-3 shift flare. Don't know if that's the cause or if was going to happen anyway. Just trying to make sure things don't get worse. There is actually a service bulletin regarding the 2-3 shift flare. I'M DONE NOW. Thanks!
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is a TSB for the 2-3 shift flare, however it is not caused by the ATF. It is caused by internal parts of the tranny that they have now started making more "improved". You are probably experiencing some rough shifting because when you have a tranny flushed it gets a lot of dirt and debris at the bottom of the tranny moving into the system. This will cause issues until the dirt can once again get settled back down. The ATF in your 2000 Eclipse is actually supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles. If this has not been done and the mileage is fairly high then there would have been a lot of dirt moving around. As for the SPIII, it superceded the SPII which is what was originally recommended for your vehicle. All this means is that you can use either one you choose in the tranny, both are going to do the job correctly. However, I really do suggest just sticking with the manufacturer recommended type.
JD, Vehicle Repair Consultant
Experience: 10+ years working on vehicles