carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models
12326834

2006 sonata: oil change..Engine malfunction indicator light..dashboard

Customer Question

Yesterday I had an oil change in my 2006 sonata - today I noticed the Engine malfunction indicator light on the dashboard - what turned it on ? How do I turn it off ?

Thanks

Carlos
Category: Car
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.
The malfunction indicator light may have just been a coincidental after the oil change. If the oil fill cap was left off that can trigger the light to come on.
I would recommend opening the haood and making sure that the cap was reinstalled after the oil change.
If the cap is in place, I recommend going to a parts store such as auto zone and they will scan the computer system free of charge.
Once we get the diagnostic trouble code, we can determine if the code was caused by the oil change.

Please if you find my answer helpful, hit the accept button
                 Thanks Carguyjosh