matthew
matthew, Technician
Experience:  Licensed, with Specialist experience in Australian and Japanese vehicles, and driveline diagnosis
16632191

2003 lancer: my husband thinks it the left caliber. is this dangerous

Customer Question

2003 lancer. makes awful noise when i brake. my husband thinks it the left caliber. is this dangerous?
Category: Car
Expert:  matthew replied 7 years ago.
Hi there , generally the brake operation should be quiet when in operation , if the noise is a kind of gringing noise then possibilities are that your brake pads are getting low, however as i am purely speculating at this time, generally ,with noise from brakes , the best advice that could be given at this point in time is that you have them visually checked, to make sure that every thing is ok, it may only be worn brakes, or perhaps a stone has caught up in the caliper , however nothing can be really ascertained until a visual inspection is carried out. While your there, let the mechanic know that the vehicle has been in an accident recently and the noise is possibly a result of this, that way he will be even more thorough with his inspection.
Definately contact your mechanic or a local brake specialist, to have this inspected asap- they may even do the inspection for free, depending on where you go!
If you have any other questions please dont hesitate to ask!!
Best Wishes; Matthew (aka; Matt0302)