Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Re-certified Technician, 22 yrs. Dealer and Independent Repair World Class High Performance Expe

2001 Kia sportage: I lost power windows

Customer Question

2001 Kia sportage, the first problem was all my gauges went out and I lost power in drive, the car seemed to have normal power in reverse. The mechanic replaced the alternator, and a fuse. 1 week later it blew the fuse again. My brother tried to replace that fuse and my power windows quit working. Mechanics traced the wiring problem and fixed the windows. Couldn't find what caused the 2nd fuse to blow. Took it to a auto computer specialist, he kept the car a month, replaced something, but 2 months later my car refused to start. Took it to an auto electric specialist, they kept my car a month, replaced the fuel pump and filter, but my speed odometer doesn't work.. any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago via
Category: Car
Expert:  Carfix4you replied 7 years ago.
Hello 2001, and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to answer your question fully, and the more detailed information about the problem that you can provide, the faster I can answer. Any time you have any questions, need service information, or any diagrams, please ask. I'll do my best to answer your question, yet I don't get paid until you accept. Anytime you would like another opinion, let me know.Is the service engine litew on, or has it came on since the speedo quit?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, the check engine light is on now, however it is not giving any code, and this is the first time it has come on, when I was having a problem.
There is a flow chart for the speedo in-op. Would you like that info?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, but I believe all of the problems are just symptoms of an electrical problem, things keep going wrong, and no one seems to be able to fix the real problem
This will find the problem. I am also attaching the speedo connector #'s for the flow chart. I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to Just Answer. You can download it by clicking HERE and HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions about your initial question or need any more diagrams, please ask.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The speed odometer was just a symptom, it's still blowing fuses

What fuse is blowing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing worked...we traded the Sportage off for another car. So we won't be getting it fixed. No one could figure what was wrong with it and your information did not help.