Toddred
Toddred, Technician
Experience:  12 years owner of repair facility and 10 additional of tech expirience in auto, truck, heavy equip.
18896464

1984 chevy: ton..pickup..diesal..it to start and idle but it stalls

ok so i have a 1984 chevey 3/4 ton pickup that was once a diesal and now has a 1984 highoutput 305. i am having a huge problemon getting it going. i can get it to start and idle but it stalls out as soon as i put it in gear and sometimes when i give it some gas. is this because of my carburater or is it vacuum or something else i cant not figure it out
Category: Car
Expert:  Toddred replied 7 years ago.
I would look for a large vacume leak and double check timing. Do you know how much vacume you have. Does it idle smooth or rough.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it varys at time it sounds good but most of the time it sounds like crap
Expert:  Toddred replied 7 years ago.
Okay, I would check for a major vacume lelike the carb base gasget. Check how much vacume you have and that will tell a lot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok but i just put a new gasket on it and i made sure it was on there pretty good..should i double check that
Expert:  Toddred replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you can also lightly brake cleaner around the carb, but don't get carried away, and if there is a vacume leak it will die. The bottom of your carb can be warped slightly so it might be sucking air there. Don't limit it to the carb. Check other vacume leak possibilities too. Be careful with the brake cleaner though, you dont want to spray a whole bunch and get a fire.