Asa
Asa, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  steering and suspension, manual transmissions

1997 saab 900 se: both electric seats..convertible..fuses

Customer Question

both electric seats on my 1997 saab 900se convertible have seemingly stopped working at the same time....the fuses are good. any hints?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Sounds like Possible seat control module, if both quite at same time......Joey
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK...how do I find it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You Joey, is this something I can repair myself, and where is it located in the car
Expert:  Asa replied 5 years ago.

well i see he has opted out so im going to try to help you out, step by step what you can do to remedy your problem

there are only a few things that are shared commonly between the two seats, ground, a fuse, and a couple connections

first thing im going to need you to do is check the fuse for the heated seat, its going to be in the inside fuse panel,

that is where its located and its going to be in number 20, now what im going to want you to do, is swap out that fuse with a known good fuse even if it doesnt look blown, im going to want you to swap it out with number 31, your windsheild wipers, once you swap those out, try your heated seats, if they work, then you know the fuse was to blame, and now if your windsheild wipers dont work, you absolutely know that the fuse was blown

sometimes the fuse will blow right at the base and you cant tell unless its blown in the middle.

so if this doesnt work for you, we are going to have to go in and check some wires out and see if your getting power and ground to everything

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Asa, I may have been soewhat unclear as to the problem, it is not the heated part of the seat but the electric power seat adjustment that moves the seat back and forth and up and down
Expert:  Asa replied 5 years ago.
oh i am so sorry, i thought i saw heated seats and totally misunderstood, im very sorry... well lets see if we can try this way... so you have no power to your seats at all?
Expert:  Asa replied 5 years ago.
also, do you have access to a digital voltmeter to check some wires?
Expert:  Asa replied 5 years ago.

alright i have a few things for you to try,

first i want you to open your door and try to use the seat functions, dont even put the key in, just try moving them with the door open, if that works, then there is a relay underneath the front part of the seat that needs to be replaced,

if they still dont work, what i want you to try is this...

1. Check fuse 16 in the dash fuse panel.

2.Check for power at the Blue/Red wire at the relay, which is under the seat.

3. Check for a ground signal on the Blue/Yellow wire

im going to be leaning more towards that relay being the culprit. if this works for you please remember to hit accept, if it doesnt, we'll have to go a different route