Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Eclipse: 40mph and brake slowly, my steering wheel..brake pedal

When I drive my eclipse 2002 at around 40mph and brake slowly, my steering wheel as well as the brake pedal begins to rumble.

Have you had your brake pads and rotors checked?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not too sure. I am not much of a car mechanic myself. I went to the mechanic about 7 months ago with the same problem and Merchants mechanics told me that the problem was fixed and also told me that my two front tires were worn out. So they changed them. However, my problem still persists with the rumbling. I assumed they checked the brake pads and rotors went we first brought it to them and like they mentioned it was 'fixed'. But I cannot be for certain.
It sounds a lot to me like warped brake rotors. normal heat-wear will warp the rotors and give a noticable pulsation in the brake pedal, and if really bad, can make the steering wheel shudder as well. there really isnt a visual way to check for warped rotors, they would need to be put on a lathe to visually see it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is a warped brake rotor is same as a worn out brake pad?
No. the brake pad is seperate. if new brake pads are put on warped rotors, you will still get the pulsation. the rotor is the metal disc that the brake pads grab onto.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much! Yes this all makes sense. I would not be surprised if they changed my brake pads instead of my rotors. I will go to another mechanic and mention what you said.
Your welcome. good luck to you...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, just one last thing...How much will the rotors cost around? Just an idea so that I don't get swindled. lol
The average u.s dealer suggested price for a brake rotor is $62.92/ea.(shop around. local parts stores can usually beat dealer prices!) and the time guide calls for 1.4hrs to complete the job. local shops vary in labor rates from 45-85/hr. so a ballpark figure would be around $240 or so.