sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Why does my car stall after I put gas in it, after a few minutes

Why does my car stall after I put gas in it, after a few minutes it runs fine
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-Is the check engine light on?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2005 Dodge Magnum, has the 5.7 hemi in it, Only has 8K miles on it and isnt driven very often. This started to happen after it had been sittiing for 3 weeks and then I put gas in it. After a few minutes it runs fine but stalls at first
I will categorize this question to a Dodge expert. A Dodge expert will be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is caused by a valve on the fuel tank. When you put fuel in the tank the air has to displace to allow room for fuel. This valve is where the air goes, it allows the air/fuel vapors into the evaporative emissions system. This is called on board vapor recovery. This way fuel vapors aren't allowed into the atmosphere, the canister stores the vapor remnants from the air and it is burned in the engine.

What is happening is this valve is allowing liquid fuel up into the evaporative emissions system and the vapor canister. A few minutes after you start the engine the purge solenoid comes on and pulls vapors from the system into the intake and burns them. When this liquid fuel is in the lines and canister it causes the engine to run very rich when the purge solenoid comes on, so it will run poorly or die when you are off the throttle.

There are two things that you can do. The permanent fix is to replace the fuel tank. The valving and hard plastic lines are part of the fuel tank. The other option is to not fill the tank up all the way. The fuel is pushing into the evap system when the tank gets full to the top. If you don't fill it all the way up this problem won't happen.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience