Toddred
Toddred, Technician
Experience:  12 years owner of repair facility and 10 additional of tech expirience in auto, truck, heavy equip.
18896464

Can remove key while car in drive

can remove key while car in drive
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hello,are you stating that you can remove your car after it is turned and started,the key will just pull out?What shape is the key in,is it an old wore out key?Has anything been done to try and correct this?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have try a key that have not being use very much. I can not take it out when the car is running. only off
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
I will have to opt out as I dont know the right answer to this,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So you have not Idea?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
I dont and so I will let other people look at this to see if they know the correct response for you,Sorry Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what do I need to do now?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 years ago.
nothing,your question is relisted automatically for everyone to see and you wont be charged again,you have to wait for someone to grab it and answer it,Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
seen nonething going on
Expert:  Toddred replied 7 years ago.
This may be just wear and tear on the key itself and the tumblers. If your key that works properly is in new condition you can line it up to the old key and see just how much has been worn away. You should have another key made of the good key and throw out the worn one. If you put some lock lubricant in the key slot it will help the tumblers from wearing more but you will eventually need to replace the ingition switch (key part, not electrical part). An area to watch out for is evenly working locks in reference to the other locks (driver door, passenger door, fuel tank cover) compared to only the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it start the car but when I shut off I can take the key out Park rev, Neu, Drive. But will not come out when the car running
Expert:  Toddred replied 7 years ago.
There is going to be more play in the off position but given your situation I would suggest changing the key part of your ignition now because something is probably broken and loose inside the key part of the ignition. Other than the steering wheel lock the key part of the ignition's environment does not change if the car is on or off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it that part hard to change? It does have a air bag. I would want to change it my self.
Expert:  Toddred replied 7 years ago.
Having the air bag I would not suggest doing it yourself. This is not a repair that need to go to the dealer only, but unless you are familiar with air bags I wouldn't try it. You should be able to get it replaced for under $100.00 at a reputable repair shop.
Toddred, Technician
Experience: 12 years owner of repair facility and 10 additional of tech expirience in auto, truck, heavy equip.