JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Auto Sercive Tech
18180325

How do I change the coil on an 05 subaru legacy GT What

Customer Question

How do I change the coil on an 05' subaru legacy GT? What do I need to remove to get to it? Where is it located? Approx. how long would you expect it to take a novice for replacement?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

If you are referring to the ignition coil, it is located on the top of the engine, out in the open, and very easy to replace.

If you follow the spark plug wires from each spark plug, you will find that they all come together at the ignition coil and are all plugged into it.

Before disconnecting anything, draw yourself a picture of where each spark plug wire connects to the coil, because it is very important to connect them in the same locations on the new coil. Then, disconnect the plug wires, disconnect the small electrical plug, and unscrew the screws that hold teh coil to the engine. Installation is the same process in reverse.

Replacing the ignition coil should take about 10 to 15 minutes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand those basics, but after removing the plastic cover on top of the engine--I don't even see the spark plugs OR cables..... I'm looking for a more detailed description of were to find the plugs. wires and ultimatley the ignition coil. 05' subaru, legacy GT turbo.....

Thank You,
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.

there arent any plug wires on the late model subaru. the coils are bolted down on top of the spark plug holes. If it is a 4 cylinder there are 4 . if it is a 6cyl. there are six. just look down on each side of the engine you will see them. recove the one bolt unplug the coil and there you go. you also remove the spark plug through this hole after you remove the coil. you can put them back in any order

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your answer is good general knowledge, but this particular engine has ONLY one ignition coil for the four cylinders.... 2005 Legacy GT turbo.......
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, looked up the year make and model, must be an early 2005 . in that case the coil is on top dead center of the engine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok.... what do I need to remove to access the coil? It is not visible to the eye. Do you have any pictures? I would give you a few extra bucks if I can get this figured out with your answer(s). I need a more exact location.......
Expert:  rashawn replied 5 years ago.

there is most likely a plastic cover over the top of the engine. I have worked on quite a few subaru and the setups are usually the same. most manufacturers are puttin cosmetic covers over the top of the engines now. I have provides an image if a 04 model. the 05 model i provided has the individual coil packs Hope this helps. By the way I did not see the first technician helping you. Give him the credit. His answer seemed similar.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The engine layout on this TURBO model is different than most subarus. I took the cover off minutes after opening the hood yesterday..... The only assistance that will help me needs to be very specific... I'm a backyard mechanic, so I understand the basics, I just don't want to start peeling parts from the engine with no direction.

Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.
This should do it I will also upload larger pics if you need them. Let me know!.
Removal & Installation

2.0L, 2.5L Turbo & 3.0L Engines

Direct ignition is used in these engines. Refer to -Spark Plugs, Removal & Installation- to remove the ignition coils.
2.2L & 2.5L Engines

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect the spark plug cables from the ignition coil pack.

3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition coil pack.

4. Remove the ignition coil pack assembly.

5. Installation is the reverse order of removal. Tighten the ignition coil pack mounting bolts to 5 ft. lbs. (6 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Location of the ignition coil pack mounting bolts-2.5L engine shown, 2.2L similar

Testing

1. Using an ohmmeter, test the resistance of the secondary coil. Using the illustration as a reference the resistance between:
        1. Terminals A and B: 12.8kOhms

2. Terminals B and D: 12.8kOhms
            NOTE
            If the resistance is extremely low, this is indicative of a short circuit.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of the secondary coil.
Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.
They are under the air intake assembly.

2.0L & 2.5L Turbo Engines

2. Remove the following components if necessary for access to remove the spark plugs:
    CAUTION
    Do not disconnect the washer tank hoses.

Air intake assembly
    Windshield washer tank

3. Remove the ignition coils.
  4. Remove the spark plugs.

To install:

1. When installing spark plugs on cylinder head, use the appropriate spark plug socket. Tighten the spark plugs to 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
  2. Install the ignition coils.
  3. Reinstall any components removed for clearance.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this under the inter-cooler? Is this under the manifold? Does the entire manifold need to be removed? I have the new part in my possession---I know what the part looks like, but after examining the engine compartment closley, I cannot see it. AGAIN I do not want to start removing parts without having a plan. For Example--if I remove the manifold do I need a new seal kit?? Does it even need to be removed? This is the type of DETAILED information I need.
Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.
You only remove the intake hoses yes they are by the intercooler. you should be able to follow the wires to the destination and you will have to remove the air intake assembly not manifold and the washer tank.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A few more questions..... Is that toward the passenger side of the engine? Middle? Drivers side? Is the fluid container you mentioned the resivoir for coolant for the inter-cooler? After removing the air intake hose do we need to further remove air intake going to the engine? Is this part mounted vertically OR horizontially? PLEASE NOTE THE WASHER TANK IS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE FRONT OF THE CAR--SEEMS TO BE COMPLETELY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR.....
Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.
I am using the information for your car. but is this the 2.0 or 2.5 motor thats why we are getting mixed up here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.5
Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.
Should be on top under the intake hoses by the alternator here is a image hope it helps let me know follow the wires to the destination

graphic