Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2000 kia sportage: (cranks) but wont start..fuel pump..getting gas

Customer Question

I have a 2000 kia sportage. It turns over (cranks) but won't start. I replaced the fuel pump, and it seems to still not be getting gas. The fuel pump is not pumping. checked fuse under steering wheel and it is good. Maybe an automatic shut off? can't find a button for fuse reset. It was not hit before happened, just went out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello before we move on, do you have some ether or can of carb cleaner? also, I need you to check 2 fuses under hood. One is "Fuel INJ 30 amp" the other is "main relay 15amp"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He says all the fuses under the hood next to the battery look good there is two 30's an 80 60 two 10's and then a 15 and a 20. he does have carb cleaner
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
OK, I need you to spray some carb cleaner in the throttle body. You may have to take off the intake hose. gently spray while trying to start. LMK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing happened
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, if adding carb cleaner to engine and nothing happened, you need to check for spark as well. We now need to know if you have spark to plugs. Also, do you have a testlight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Ok, we may need test light later but for now, I need to know if you have spark at the plugs. You may have to pull a wire off, insert screwdriver etc to check. just be careful;
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will take some time to get the top off to get to the spark plugs.. I could be the plugs causing is to not start, even tho its cranking? It was running and when we parked it and went back to start it it wouldnt start (my tv just did that!) LOL
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
No not plugs:) maybe a crank sensor but not plugs. LMK when you can On/off all evening, all day Sunday
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he said tomorrow would be good do you want him to go get a crank sensor or throttle before then?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Crank sensor may be a real good idea. At least have it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks do i leave this web site up until tomorrow?

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
We will lose each other after 24 hours. We are ok. I will leave open on my end and respond to you in the am to let you know I am here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so soooo much!!!! i do so need to get at least one car running!!! your wonderful