Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Service AWD light on 2000 Olds Bravada comes on and then goes

Service AWD light on 2000 Olds Bravada comes on and then goes off every so often. The computer scan says CO 310 indicating the encoder moter needs replacing. Should I have this done, or what might cause the light to come on intermittently?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Make sure the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM) Connector is clean with a good connection, if so replace the encoder motor. You can also do a resistance test on motor, it should have 0.5 to 35 ohms. The TCCM is behind the left kick panel. There is also a 3 pin connector, at the top of the transfer case you can check for good connection. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What happens eventually if the encoder motor is not replaced?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The Four-wheel drive will stop working, nothing major but considering it is such an easy and cheap fix might as well get it out of the way. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The estimate on replacing the encoder motor is $340.00 I guess I don't think that is very cheap. Maybe you are refering to some other cheaper fix????
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Ya, I certainly understand what your saying, I didnt realize it was that expensive. Considering it is intermittent kinda points to a loose wiring connection so I would check all of those first. If you call around different parts stores you may find a cheaper motor also. Thanks Again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Dan. You have been very helpful. Have a nice memorial day weekend!