Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

2001 Pt Cruiser: a grinding noise..started making..wheel bearing

Customer Question

Hi...my 2001 Pt Cruiser has been making a lot of noise underneath it. It started out as a grinding noise when we turned right ...then the left side started making a thumping noise so we replaced the wheel bearing. It was still making noised but now it's not only when we turn and it makes or rubbing, and grinding noises. The mechanic then told us to replace the sway bar bushings, so we did. Still noisy. Now this weekend we are going to replace the motor mounts and the cv joints. Is there other parts that we shcould check out? Or do you think this should fix the problem? please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
There are also sway bar links as well, however, these will not make a noise when driving straight. Mostly a rattle/banging noise when hitting small bumps or potholes. When CV axles are bad, they will make a loud clicking sound when turning.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We hear the noises off and on when we drive straight, break, slow down, go fast...it's so random which is we are having so much trouble diagnosing the problem. it does seem to get louder when we turn right. Is there anything else you can think it might be...I hope to make this my last trip to the mechanic. Please ask any questions if it will help.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Have him check the sway bar links and body bushings. Kind of tough to diagnose without hearing it, and after you've already changed a ton of stuff.