George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

How do you remove and replace the starter on a 1997 Acura TL

Customer Question

How do you remove and replace the starter on a 1997 Acura TL 2.5
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Its pretty straightforward, you have to remove one bracket to gain access to the starter and the work is done under the car so raise and support the car safely

1. Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio, then write down the frequencies for the radio's preset buttons.
  2. Disconnect the battery negative cable, then disconnect the positive cable.
  3. Remove the rear intake manifold bracket.

graphic

1. Disconnect the starter cable from the B terminal on the solenoid, then disconnect the BLK/WHT wire from the S (SOLENOID) terminal wire.
  2. Remove the two bolts holding the starter, then remove the starter.
  1. Install in the reverse order of removal. NOTE: When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out.
  2. Connect the battery positive cable and negative cable to the battery.
  3. Enter the anti-theft code for the radio, then enter the customer's radio station presets.

Let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The reason I asked this question is that I could not see the starter from under the car. By tracing down the positive battery cable I could see it from above as your diagram depicts. However it looked to me like I would have to remove the manifold to get to it. Therefore, I wanted to verify that the work is done from under the car and ask if there is anything I need to remove under the car to do the work.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The undercar shield if it is still attached (they tend to get lost over the years) and the intake maniford support bracket are the only things other than the starter connections and bolts that you should have to remove.

Yes it does come out from underneath, you will have to do some juggling once you get it unbolted but it does come out

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since I sent you my reply I checked again (and I will check one more time) but I can pretty much guarantee you that you can't get to the starter from underneath the car.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

If you don't feel that you can accomplish the replacement of the starter with the instruction and diagrams from the service manual you may want to bring the job to a shop with trained and equipped professionals and have them perform the replacement for you.

Perhaps you do not have the 2.5L engine?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I suspect that you were looking at a shop manual that gives the limited instructions you gave me and you assumed that it should be done from underneath the car, which would normally be the case. However, that is not the case on this particular car. The starter cannot be reached let alone be removed from under the car, and it is necessary to remove some other parts to get to it from the top, primarily the oil filter.

If you still you were right, you might want to take a look at a '97 TL 2.5 to verify it for yourself or talk to someone who has done one, which is what I did.

Thought you might like to know so that the next time you give some expert advise on this you can provide the correct information rather than telling the person they're either not qualified to do the work or don't know what kind of car they have.