Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

2005 suzuki forenza: both head lights have went out I checked the fuse

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Suzuki Froenza both head lights have went out I checked the fuse and they are good, do you know what to do next
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Hello, there was a recall for this condition. I would contact dealer as you should? get a free repair.

FORENZA

Section Title: Body, Cab & Accessories
TSB No. TS 11 10177R2

Division: Automotive

SUBJECT:
SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN "NB" LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT AND DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT (DRL) SPLICE PACK REPAIR

MODEL(S):
FORENZA SEDAN/WAGON, RENO (RQ420)

YEAR:
2004~2006

REVISION:
THE VIN RANGE AND PARTS INFO HAS BEEN UPDATED

AFFECTED VIN(S):
ALL 2004, 2005, AND CERTAIN 2006 MY UP TO 6K369480

NOTE :VIN numbers are not fully inclusive. Not all VIN's within the above range are included. If the vehicle owner does not present the Owner Notification Letter; with the printed VIN, check vehicle history in Suzuki Connect to verify if the VIN is affected and included or not.

CONDITION:
Possible high resistance in the S201 splice pack may cause low beam headlights and DRL to not operate.

CAUSE:
Affected vehicles were produced with splice packs which may have high resistance at the headlight lamp splice. It is possible for this high resistance to generate enough heat to melt the splice pack eventually causing the circuit for the low beam headlights and DRL to open. The low beam and DRL may not function if the circuit opens. A burning smell may also be present from the instrument cluster area.

CORRECTION:
Please follow the instructions below to bypass the S201 splice pack on vehicles in the affected VIN range. The circuit for the headlights will be joined with a special crimp connector. This will join the circuit with mechanical force a solder welded joint and adhesion of the wire insulation. The same procedure is used for all listed models. Note that the cluster bezels may differ in appearance Forenza sedan is shown.

WARRANTY:
Please refer to the Campaign Bulletin SC-41 for claim submission instructions and labor times.

PART(S) INFORMATION:

Splice Pack Repair Procedure

1.Disconnect the battery negative cable. Tilt wheel to the max down position. Remove instrument cluster bezel by removing the two screws.

2.The bezel is secured along the bottom with clips. Some force is required to release clips. Remove the bezel by sliding towards you and tilting up behind steering wheel.

3.Remove the three instrument cluster screws.

4.Slide instrument cluster forward enough to remove the three electrical connectors. Then remove and set the instrument cluster aside.

5.The splice pack with the low beam head light circuit (S201) will need to be removed from its anchor.

6.Under the dash to the left of the steering column directly under the splice pack, release the anchor of the splice pack by squeezing the anchor catches. Then, push the anchor through the hole.

7.Back up at the instrument panel opening, pull the splice pack out from in between the NC duct and dash support structure. Inspect the splice pack for the three violet wires shown. If present continue to step 8. If they have been cut off, a repair attempt has been made which will have to be removed and then repaired as described starting with step 8.

NOTE :With the splice pack anchor facing you as shown, the three violet wires will be on top.

8.Cut the three violet wires just behind any heat damage if it exists. If a repair has already been attempted remove the repair by cutting the wires as close to the repair as possible.

9.Strip about half an inch of insulation off the end of each violet wire and twist the stripped ends together. (It may be necessary to remove some of the harness wrap to expose enough of the violet wires to work with.)

NOTE :Hands must be clean of any grease when preparing wires for connection. Any grease or foreign matter on the wires will prevent solder from adhering to the copper wire strands.

10.Insert the twisted wire end fully into the specified crimp connector. The exposed copper wire should be completely inserted in the metal barrel of the crimp connector. The wire insulation should be inside of the clear area of the connector touching the barrel.

11.Fully crimp the connector using the ratchet crimper. Note the crimper will release automatically if crimped properly.

12.Shrink the crimp connector with the specified heat gun. Start at the open end off the connector. DO NOT use an open flame.

13.Once the end shrinks, gently squeeze it flat with a pair of needle nose pliers before it cools. Continue to heat the crimp connector until the solder has melted and wicked into the wire.

CAUTION :Do not allow the heat gun shield to contact any of the plastic or foam in the dash area you are working in.

14.When the solder has melted you will see the centering ribs on one side of the crimp connector and the glue should start coming out around the wires.

15.Temporarily connect the three instrument cluster connectors to the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative terminal and test the headlight operation. The key must be in the ON position for the headlights to operate. If the headlights do not operate further circuit diagnosis will be required. Please contact the Suzuki Techline if assistance is required. If headlights operate, continue to step 16.

16.Turn ignition OFF Disconnect battery negative cable. Remove instrument cluster.

17.Re-install the splice pack back into its original position to prevent dash rattles. It is not necessary to insulate the wires on the splice pack they are no longer powered.

18.Re-install the instrument cluster and bezel. Re-connect the battery negative terminal.

19.If the "Air Bag" (symbol) warning light is ON after repair, clear the DTCs. The light will not go OFF until the ignition key is cycled OFF then ON.

Disclaimer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the car has been for the recall and the dealer took care of the problem
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I would contact them as to problem. An erlror could have been made. I can walk you through the fuse check, bulb check etc , you will need a testlight. I do however recommend a call to dealer as to not void any recall warranty. I have seen 2 bulbs go near same time. Just a thought
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tha bulps are not burned out and all the fues are ok, I have a volt meter but I don't know where to look next . I called the dealer and the said it woud cost $90 for them to check, are they some way iI can check the splic to see if it is ok
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
I can not explain anything more than the directions I sent for the splice. you can follow them. Which lights are out? high, low, both
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
At first with post, some info is delayed getting to us. I now see your comment about pulling on high beams. So, just to be sure, no high or low only when you pull to use high do they come on?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Below is the diag chart for inop high low lights. It is very involved and I will not be of much help going through it. I also included the fuse diagram as there are 4 fuses I think for the system

Engine Room Relay and Fuse Block

Position of Relay and Fuse

Usage of Fuse in Engine Fuse Block

Position of Fuse and Relay

Usage of Fuses in I.P Fuse Block

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your information so I will take it to the dealer
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Before that, just be sure you have checked all four fuses noted in last post. I wish I had more for you but as you can see, it is rather complex diag flowchart. I would recheck fuses if not already. Let us hope it is the splice repair gone bad in which you get free repair. If not and they say something different, find out what and maybe I can walk you through to save money, Just lmk Thanks