Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2000 Isuzu Trooper: wrench..the locking lug nuts off to replace them

Customer Question

I lost the special lug nut adapter wrench used to take off the locking lug nuts on a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. How can I get the locking lug nuts off to replace them with regular lug nuts.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

The easiest option is to go to a quality parts store such as NAPA, Bumper2Bumper, Carquest, and purchase a special socket that has reverse raised spiral edges designed to remove rounded bolts, locking lug nuts. You hammer the socket over the lug nut and use an extension and ratchet to loosen and remove them

Here is sample of what the socket looks like. This is one I personally use made by OTC($40):

graphic

They come as a flip socket in 2 sizes 19/21mm, 21/23 mm, etc. Drive your vehicle to the parts store to match up the correct socket.

2 other methods-

• use an air chisel- drawback is if they are recessed, you can ruin a set of rims- great care and patience required for this method
  • go by an exhaust shop and have them weld 19mm lug nuts onto the ends of the locking lug nuts- go home and remove the locking lug nuts by using a 19mm socket on the nuts welded on

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, the rest of your post didnt show up until I had already posted my answer on removing the wheel lock. The brackets that hold the windows are only available thru an Isuzu dealership, or possbily thru a salvage yard. There isnt any aftermarket companies that make them Below is the national used part locater. You simply put in the the year, make, and model, and then select the part you are looking for, and your zipcode. If there is one available at a salvage yard near you, it will show you the name of the salvage yard, location, phone number and price of part:

http://car-part.com/