r hale
r hale, Technician
Experience:  8

I have a 2000 Kia Sportage with the airbag light on.The airbag

I have a 2000 Kia Sportage with the airbag light on.The airbag light flashes once the pauses and flashes eight times. The info I found on the web indicated that the knee bag or wiring was bad. I replaced the knee air bag (used) but still it still has the code. I took it to the dealer, the code still indicates a problem with the knee bag or wiring. I replaced the knee airbag again(used) but still have the code. I have checked the connections ,they seem fine.I checked the wiring to ground and did not have continuity. What should I check next? Will the code clear by itself when the problem is fixed or do you need a scanner to clear?   Rick
Hi and thank you for using, My name is XXXXX XXXXX ill help you with your question.

I have had alot of experince with airbag lights on kia's, 9 times out of 10 it is a bad connection at either the air bag or at the airbag module. Now what your going to want to do is apply a electrical enhancer to the connectors the brand i use is called stablant-22 it was reconmended to me by a hundai dealer. Also i would check the continuity of the wire between the airbag connector and the control modual connector there should not be more than a few ohms or resistance ( there shouldnt be any continuty to ground through the airbag wires) see picturs below for pin locations on the connector. if you still have a code after that i would suspect the control modual itself to be bad.

location of airbag control module in center consol.

electrical pin location on air bag control modual connector.

if you have any more question please feel free to ask. Reid
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great I will what you suggested,when the issue is fixed will the air bag light stop flashing?
I cant recall if kia's have a self resetting light or not, you can try unhooking your battery for about 10 minuts or so to see if that will clear the light if not your going to have to bring it to a mechanic to reset it.

If you ar ehappy with my answer please remember to press ACCECPT, if not i will continue to help you with your problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in my response. I have disconnected the battery but still have the air bag light flashing. I need to know if the light will reset when the problem is corrected.If yu can find out I will accept your answer. Thanks Rick
Sorry for my long responce this time.

Alright Rich i talked to a kia teck and they said that the comuter is going to need to be cleared with a code reader. Most automotive part stores will do it for free if you ask them.

if you have any more questions please feel free to ask