JamesH
JamesH, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Auto Sercive Tech
18180325

dear sir , I have a mitsubishi outlander 2003 2.4 could you

dear sir , I have a mitsubishi outlander 2003 2.4 could you please tell me how to diagnose if my fuelpump is not funtioning well.    best regards& nbsp;                                       john
Category: Car
Expert:  JamesH replied 5 years ago.

I would start by replacing the fuel filter here are the steps.

• Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
  • Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Air intake hose and the battery Fuel lines from the filter Mounting bolts and the fuel filter from the vehicle
  •  

To install:

1. If equipped with flare fitting, tighten the fitting by hand before installing the filter to the vehicle.
    2. Install or connect the following:

Filter to its bracket finger-tight New gaskets and connect the high pressure hose and eye bolt, then the main pipe. Tighten the eye bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Tighten the flare nut to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
    3. Tighten the filter mounting bolts fully.
    4. Install or connect the following:

Air intake hose Battery Negative battery cable, install the fuel filler cap, turn the key to theON

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
    2. Turn the ignition to theOFF
    3. Loosen the fuel filler cap to release fuel tank pressure.
    4. Remove the rear seat assembly, then remove the protector and disconnect the fuel pump module connector.
    5. Start the vehicle and allow it to run until it stalls from lack of fuel. Turn the key to theOFF
    6. Disconnect the negative battery cable, then reconnect the fuel pump connector. Install the rear seat assembly.
    7. Wrap shop towels around the fitting that is being disconnected to absorb residual fuel in the lines.
    8. Place shop towels into proper safety container
    9. image

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  • Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
  • Loosen the fuel filler cap to release fuel tank pressure.
  • Remove the rear seat assembly, then remove the protector and disconnect the fuel pump module connector.
  • Start the vehicle and allow it to run until it stalls from lack of fuel. Turn the key to the OFF position.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable, then reconnect the fuel pump connector. Install the rear seat assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fuel pump module connector location

• JamesH, Auto Service Technician
    Experience: Auto Sercive Tech