jan73
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience
1689875

1998 eclipse: it cost to realign the convertible top

About how much does it cost to realign the convertible top to a 1998 eclipse? :)
Category: Car
Expert:  jan73 replied 5 years ago.
Well, $1600 for alignment sounds a bit exaggerated. Just to align should not take more than a few hundred dollars.
There may be something else wrong with the top, you really should get it checked by a pro before you buy it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What kind of pro?
A body shop?
someone who just does convertible tops?
a mitsubishi dealer only?

She stated the top and seal were all replaced (and they looked cared for) and that it didn't rain for several months. Then it rained and leaked but her warranty had run out.
It leaks bad in the front drivers side and in the back.
Expert:  jan73 replied 5 years ago.
Well, leaking tops can be challenging.
As a pro, I was referring to a shop that does conv. tops. Usually they know certain tricks since they deal with them all the time. A reputable repair shop could also help you determine the seriousness of the problem.
Was the car involved in an accident?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Car wasn't in any accidents. Appears well taken care of by married lady in her late 40s.
Has to sell car because she had foot surgery and cant' drive a standard.
In all honesty.. is it worth 3000 to deal with a leaky top?
Can they actually be fixed or will this just be a never ending problem?
buy a used car is very frustrating!
Thank you for all of your help!
Expert:  jan73 replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure what these cars go for. If you could buy a similar model for $3000 that is not leaking, then it's definitely not worth that much. As I said, it can be a tricky issue, I would have it checked out before to make sure...
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience