Chris Gast
Chris Gast, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have 6 years experience and am a ase master auto tech& i have recently started working on heavy eq.

2000 kia sephia overdrive light flashing

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Chris Gast replied 7 years ago.

well your on the right track when the light flases that means that the trans. is throwing a code. If the trans. is slipping it doesn't sound good. Once you get the codes get back with me and we will see what the diagnostics steps are to track down the problem.

How many miles are on the car?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
96000 miles will have to get codes tomorrow wed may 6, it is slipping when starting out and also I have to up the rpms to make it go into reverse. It only happens when it get hot. It this normal? i get back to you later,Thanks for the starting help..Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
trouble codes first scan p0734 p0740 p1624 p1500 p0171. please advise....

I have seen a problem like this with the exact same car it had many codes for the transmission and acted like the transmission was going out.

The first thing we did was change the vehicle speed sensors because they are inexpensive and fairly easy to change. I would suggest doing that first.

Sorry I hadn't got back to you I had an unexpected business trip for work.

If you have any questions feel free to get back with me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
which speed senors do I replace?
i would replace the input shaft and output shaft speed sensors. Im not saying this is a garenteed fix so its at your own risk. The correct way to diagnose a speed sensor is with a lab scope and see what the wave form its putting out looks like in comparison to a good sensor. However its up to u what you want to do with this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok.. will try..I will get back to you with payment,,,thanks