Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Certified, ASE Certified, 20+ years automotive experience
10181755

2003 QX4: my ignition key to start the car..wiggle..shift lever

2003 QX4. On two occasions I have been unable to turn my ignition key to start the car. I continued to wiggle the wheel while trying and moving the shift lever and all the usual things. Finally, I got it to turn. I am afraid that next time I will not be able to turn the key. I have no idea of why I have this problem. Would some sort of lubricant help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Do you have another key for the truck? Have you tried the other key to see if it does the same thing?

let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. I had not thought about that. In any event, I did not have a spre key with me at the time.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
It may be that the key is getting worn, and not able to line up the tumblers properly. I would try using another key, if it works, then you know what the problem is. Then I would go to a home depot or a locksmith and have a key copied along with the frequency for the chip in the key. So you still have a spare.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if the second key does not work? Can these switches be lubricated?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Make sure it's not the steering lock you are experiencing. If the key gets stuck, turn the steering wheel right to left while turning the key. You shouldn't have to lubricate the switch, if you want to spray a little WD40 in the switch, it won't hurt.

Thanks Jay!