Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

KIA spectra: 1.8L..METAL COOLANT LINE LEADING..LEAKING..SEAL

Customer Question

I HAVE A KIA SPECTRA 1.8L BEHIND IS A METAL COOLANT LINE LEADING TO THE FIRE WALL. THIS METAL LINE IS LEAKING BEHIND THE THERMOSTAT. HOW DO I SEAL THIS LINE?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, how big around is the line? where is it leaking? did line rust through?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
APROX 3/4'' AND NO RUST. IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A FELT SEAL BUT NOT SURE
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
I am trying to picture this. Is the leak at one end where it attatches? if so, how does it attatch . Our repair sources do not give very good info on heater lines.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE METAL PIPE SLIDES INTO A 3/4" METAL HOLE JUST BEHIND TH THERMOSTAT HOUSING. BUT NOT PART OF THE HOUSING (JUST BEHIND IT) NOTHING HOLDS IT IN I SEEN WATER LEAKING FROM THERE AND GAVE IT A COUPLE OF TWIST AND A PULL AND IT SLID RIGHT OUT. THERES GOT TO BE SOME KIND OF SEAL. BUT I DONT KNOW
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Does the syatem look like this? if so, can you describe the pipe location?

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO THE TOP RADATIOR HOSE GOES TO THE THERMOSTAT WITCH GOES TO THE HEAD AND RIGHT BEHIND THE TRERMOSTAT ON THE HEAD IT SELF IS WHERE THE 3/4 PIPE COMES OUT GOES TO THE FIRE WALL (THE TO HOSE GOING TO THE WALL0
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry for taking your time but unsure from my end as info is limited and I am unsure how that heater core line attaches. Usually there is an oring on the end of the metal lines that go into head or t stat housing but something in the way of a clamp etc holds it fro coming out. I am going to opt out and allow another expert to answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im sure there is some kind of o ring (hard to see but looks kinda like felt) and there is nothing holding it in. there is also a looks like a vacume line coming off of the hose going to the throdel body
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

I try not to give up so I did some checking. I believe the pipe you are speaking of is in the pic below. If not, lmk and I will pass to another expert

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thats it. I took off the thermostat and ther is no o ring looks like it just slides in there. I would think you would need some kind of sealant
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
You arec correct. From the factory, that pipe is pressed in and also had a form of glue/sealant holding it. It was not a replaceable part. Now, you can get a product like JB WELD and clean the pipe end real good and clean the opening real good and chances are very good it will work. Be sure to use a rubber mallet and tap on end to be sure it is all the way in when you do this. If leak continues, it will require full replacement. Be sure to allow full cure of sealant before you put coolant in it.