Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Engine light come..the paper clip in pin 5&6 of the ecu(..crank sensor

Customer Question

Hello I hope you can help i have 1997(R) vauxhall vectra sri i have the orange engine light come on so i did the paper clip in pin 5&6 of the ecu(I had to do this with hthe engine not running as i could get no flashes with it running).
Any way i got a 10-3-3-5 which i think was crank sensor, so I replaced that. Engine light still on. This light does not always stay on but is showing up a lot more regular now. I have cleaned the idle control valve.
What happens is ill be driving along and the car will start to judder this normaly makes the rev meter go up and down then on occassion i lose power. I am noticing the car stalling a lot aswell just cutting out after driving for a while.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Paul s king
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 7 years ago.
That is correct to only get codes with the engine off. Try running the codes again and if the idle control valve is good then it sounds like it might be your Throttle position sensor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What about cam sensor i have heard that this can cause a similar fault? of lamber sensor?

Do you have any ideas why the fault code is still coming up with the same crank shaft sensor?

Thanks Paul

Expert:  Neal replied 7 years ago.
It could be your cam sensor. I would not rule it out. These problems can be very difficult. I have no idea why you are still getting a code on the new part as long as it was installed correctly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I know mechanics dont like the old haynes manuals but the throttle position sensor, is that the same as the throttle potentiometer?

Also would a crankshaft sensor cause this fault say if it wasnt installed correctly it seemed to just pop into its allocated hole fairly snug.

If i were to put this onto a proper ecu reader will that come up with various faults or just what i get with the paper clip.

Is it ok to be asking all these questions?