Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

98 Mitsubishi Diamante: indicator..light comes..alternator

98 Mitsubishi Diamante--low bat indicator came on and went off repeatedly. Now light comes on after 7-8 minutes after starting and stays on. Have replaced the battery, alternator, and starter (which just happend to go out in the middle of all this) I have had the battery/charging system checked and they are supposedly functioning properly. I even put my meter on the battery when the low bat light was on and got a 14+ reading. The car has not failed to start until the starter went bad. That starter was defective and was replaced today and the low bat light is still coming on and staying on. Help! Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your alternator or alternator circuit is failing. Have you turned on the lights, wipers, defrost, ect to see if the battery voltage is mantained? You can also check the 10 amp fuse in locaion 12 of the fuse panel. There is also a generator relay that could be failing. There is also a 120Amp Large fuse in location 1 and a 10 amp fuse in location 13 that need to be checked. There are 3 wires on the alternator that should have voltage at all times and the other wire is a ground supplied by the pcm to the alternator to control current. Here is a wire diagram, let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where is this generator relaay?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where is the generator relay located?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Here is a picture location of the relay box. It is location C Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did turn all the lights, a/c, wipers on and the meter reading went down from 14.1 to 12.3/12.4. I checked the smaller fuses and all appeared to be ok. What does the drop in the meter reading mean? I took the car out this AM and made several stops and starts and it never failed to crank immediately. Of course, I did not have lights, a/c etc on. I had the battery charger on it last night and the needle went to 4. After I tried turning all the power accessories on and took my reading, I put the charger back on it and the needle again went to the 4 mark. It only takes it a few minutes to get back to 0 though.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
That means your alternator is not working. You need to check the wires at the alternator, make sure have 3 have constant power and the other wire should be grounded by the pcm. If 3 of the wires has power and one doesnt.......try to jump the wire with no power to ground while measure voltage. IF voltage goes up, that wire needs to be replaced or the pcm is bad, or the relay. Let me know if there is anything else. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. I have a lot of work to do!