Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

2991 Saab 95: automatic..neutral..reverse..steering wheel

I drove my 2991 Saab 95 automatic in my driveway today and when I tried to put it in park, couldn't get the gear stick beyond neutral. Eventually, my neighbor was able to hit the gear stick it soundly with the heel of his hand which moved it into reverse but was unable to get it into park. In the past, I've moved the steering wheel to get things unstuck - but today's issue is different and doesn't seem to be impacted by turning the wheel. Any thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like your having a shift/lock issue. This could be the shift lock solenoid at the shifter, a brake switch, voltage issue or a shifter issue. Hard to say without accessing the items and pulling voltage reading at time of actuation.

Now, what concerns me is the "pounding, hammering" to get in and out of gear. I am hoping, in the process of getting it in and out of gear, something else was not damaged.

First step, diagnostics. If your not handy with a volt meter or test lamp, and do not have the patience with disassembling a shift mechanism, do not attempt. Get a QUALIFIED technician.

Hope I was of some help.