Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

1998 Lincoln Town Car: front driver side window..swapped..clicks

Customer Question

At this point I am just trying to get the front driver side window up on my 1998 Lincoln Town Car. Not caring right now to get it fixed, just have to get the window up. I have replaced the switch and swapped the door module (which clicks when I press for the window to go down but module doesn't click if I hit the switch to raise the window). How can I get the window up? Will removing the motor from the regulator allow me to manually raise the window? If not then how, please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
If your driver side window moves DOWN, but does not go UP and your task is just closing the window, you can disconnect the door module connector and jump +12v power and ground to the motor circuits. There are Yellow and Black/White wires, change polarity if it moves wrog direction.
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can jump from any circuit? How? With a wire with a couple alligator clipsAll the way from the battery, maybe? Sorry so basic. This is great help and will gladly add more $ for response.

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
First of all be careful not to short something.
You can use a pair of a regular wire.
"+12 V power" you can take directly from the battery (again, do not to touch any ground point).
"Ground" you can take from any metal point/bolt of the vehicle.
If you have alligator clips and enough wires, you can take both the power and ground from the battery, and if you have a fuse holder and fuse, you can make a fused jump wire. Just install the fuse holder with fuse near the alligator( a point that you connect to the positive battery terminal).
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that. You sound confident that it isn't the motor despite the switch and module having been replaced.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for accepting my answers twice.
This will work if your motor and window regulator is operable ( my first replay sentence "If your driver side window moves DOWN, but does not go UP ")
Do not forget to disconnect the motor connector after closing the window or you can accidentally open it in the future and have this sytem fixed as soon as you get an opportunity.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess that would be the case that it did go down since , well, it is down. Ok will give this a try in the morning. Thank you.

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.
In case your motor is stuck and does not move, you can try to hit it with a metal rod or something else. Sometimes it helps if the motor electrical brushes are worn out.
Let me know if you need more assistance.
See you later.
Vladimir.