Joe
Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. with automotive
13843461

1993 Mitsubishi 3000gt: dealer says..factory..left rear..shifting

Customer Question

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. 1. The dealer says that my muffler is bad but they can not get a new factory. 2. the reason it was at the dealer was to fix the noisy in the left rear when shifting over 3500 to 4000 RPM. What do you think the noise is?
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
What kind of noise is it making? can you elaborate a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Joe,

Yes I can. It make a sound like the insturment kazu when I shift over 3500 to 4000 RMP & gets louder the more rpm I apply. The teck today wrote "Found exhaust muffler actuator motor nosiy. Exhaust valve frozen to open. Muffler not available anymore. Unkook moter cable." Did NOT correct the Noise!!

Muffler PN MB924628 - info from dealer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Still waiting?

The sound is again like a kazoo or new years noise maker.

Do you folks call or only text? I have no phone text.

-Greg

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have the service manuals - If that helps?

Also the motor that the cable attaches to on the muffler was replaced by another dealer last year.

What is your thoughts on buying a new aftermarket exhaust system?

-Greg

PS I need to go to bed soon - any idea how long this will take you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI guy's,

Hope I see your email responce this weekend.

Good Night,

-Greg

Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
Working on this.. will respond in alittle bit.. thanks for being patient
Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
Yes, They could very well be right on this. as well i'm having a hard time locating a muffler for your 3000gt does not show to be available, however they do have universial mufflers for your vehicle.. so i would consider giving that a shot... As far as going aftermarket i'm starting to think this will be your only option...as original equipment is becoming very scarce for your vehicle.. I am sorry this took so long, but did not want to jump to quick on saying "not available" hope this helps in your quest in repairing.. and please let me knowhow this works out for you.good luck, Joe
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you explain the noise & why it's happening?

-Greg

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The dealer said that by removing the cable that the noise would go away.

Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
the noise is likely from the turbo... you could remove the cable to see if that does take care of the noise... by replacing with a aftermarket universial muffler i dont think your going to be able to use the cable anyway..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The dealer already removed the cable - the noise is still there.

Now whaqt?

-Greg

Expert:  Joe replied 5 years ago.
Starting to think you may be having problems with the turbo... I recommend getting that checked.. Starting to think problem isnt in the exhaust..