Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

99 mazda protege: I checked voltage of battery & alternator belt

Customer Question

99 mazda protoge: I checked voltage of battery & alternator belt per advice. All seems to check out. Could it be the alternator? I called Pepboys & a local garage to find out the cost of a diagnostic check, to be honest, I can't afford that especially when the cost of the test won't be applied to the possible repair. Can the alternator be tested to see if it's going bad? Or does it quit all at once?
Category: Car
Expert:  mazda master tech replied 7 years ago.
I can help you with your question but I need some information.What problem are you having with your Protege? Is the car not starting,is the battery dead,system not charging?Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry, I thought I was "talking to the same gentleman from last night. I traveled from Tennessee to Colorado; car was running fine until I stopped to get gas. Would start, I turned everything off & everytime I turned to ignition the only thing that would go "nuts" was the CD player. After 3 tries, it started up & kept runnng no matter how many time I stopped. It didi it again on the second day. I did notice if I turned the fan on high while running the AC, the car would hesitat a little and the air got warm.

After arriving in Denver, unpacking & starting the car again, it would not start, had to jump the battery. Got halfway down the road and after applying the brake it died again, had to jump it again. The gentleman I corresponded with last night, suggested to check voltage on battery & alternator belt. Those seemed to check out fine. According to my son, voltage on battery read over 14. Any idea if it may be the alternator & if that is it, do they start going bad like this. I always thought if the alternator went out, jumpig the battery wouldn't do any good. By the way, the battery is 1 year old.

Thanks.

If you are able, check the voltage of the battery with the car not running,should be around 12.5 volts.Then start the car and recheck, should be around 14.2 volts.While car is running turn on lights,A/C, fan high,and radio see what volt reading is while accessories are on. I do understand your battery is not old but can still be the problem it needs to be load tested.Should be atleast 400 cca.You will need to find a shop or parts store to test for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks. May not be able to do that today but will try tomorrow. As to my question of the alternator, does it sound like it's not it, that it very likely is a problem with the battery?
Are any dash warning lights on while driving or battery light? Sorry can not say which one at this time. Let me know results of the tests and I can give you an answer.Let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no lights, nothing. As far as anything on the dash, everything looks normal. If I can't get back to you until tomorrow, how do I contact you?
I think you can send me something on private messenger on this site.If question is closed you can repost it.