joe
joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
14074217

97 Hyundai Accent: only 235,000 miles..compressor..vacuum..20 minutes

Hi, Guys, I've got a 97 Hyundai Accent with only 235,000 miles on it and the A/C compressor died. I replaced it and also the drier and after putting the vacuum on it for 45 minutes I charged it up.    It works great for about 20 minutes and then blows warm air.   If I turn it off (engine) for a couple minutes it will blow cold air again for a while. I don't believe it is air as I followed the instructions very carefully. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.

you need to be absolutely sure you have enough refrigerant in the system to keep that clutch engaged, tell you what, when the air turns hot after being cold, take alook at the compressor and see if it is still engaged, if not it is most likely you dont have enough refrigerant.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The book says it takes 24 ounces. I put in 2 12 oz cans. The compressor is still engaged when it is throwing warm air. I just went out for a spin to see if one or both of my fans were still working when I lost the air and they were running.
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.

If all these items check out then I would next check the epansion valve and its possible that the orifice tube is clogged, only cooling when you first turn on the a/c. but once the refrigerant starts passing through the tube does it get clogged. remember if you had to put refrigerant in your system then there is a leak somewhere. these are sealed systems. air got into the system through the leak and damaged the orifice tube or expansion valve and o rings. put tracer die in it to see where this leak is, another question, you do know what the clutch is on the compressor right? its in the front of the pulley, not the pulley itself. thats what engages. it makes a click when it engages and when it stops. Its ok to hit the except button, we will still be able to correspond on this issue. I wont get paid for my time unless you do so.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Good morning Joe, I worked all day yesterday and didn't get to my car problems. I was working with Matt and he didn't get back to me so they shifted me to you and I didn't see your answer and when it said to accept I thought ie meant something else.

Anyway I have no qualms about working with you or Matt and will gladly pay both.

Here is what is going on. This AM the pressure was 75lbs cold

With the A/C on it was 150 high and 20 low and blowing cold air.

When it cycled off it dropped to 125 high and 50 low.

When it stopped cooling it was 125 on the high and -10 (vacuum) on the low

Does that give a clue. BTW the olds compressor was shot and I replaced the drier also. Vacuum held for a couple hours so no leaks.

Bill

Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.
when you put refrigerant in did you do it? or the shop
Expert:  joe replied 7 years ago.
sorry sir, there is no need for you to have to pay twice, so I will leave you to matt. sorry for the confusion