Joe
Joe, Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. with automotive

1981 olds cutlass supreme: automatic transmission..V6..original tranny

Customer Question

I have a 1981 olds cutless supreme that blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Could this be caused by a defective modulator on the T 250 automatic transmission on a 3.8 liter V6 with 200,00 miles; original tranny never been worked on..Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like you might have some collapsed rings... Blue smoke is a sign of burning oil.. Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We were told that it could be the modulator could be sucking tranny fluid from the modulator up to the carburater and burning it causing the blue smoke. It is using (not leaking) about a quart of tranny fluid a week. The blue smoke just started about a month ago when you stop for a minute or two and start off again. So do you think it is the modulator???
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Theres always a chance the modulator could be bad.. This would be a cheaper remedy if it is. Ive personally never seen a Transmission modulator do that, but i could see how it can. Replace the modulator and see what happens because if your going through tranny fluid and not motor oil. Start there with the modulator.. good luck to you and let me know how that works out..
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Just got confirmation from another expert... Modulator could possibly be the problem.. pull the vacuum line on the modulator and see if its wet.. if it is modulator is bad.. another expert has informed me that he's had the same problem and the modulator was the problem.. hope this helps.. let me know
Joe, Mechanic
Experience: 24 yrs exp. with automotive
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Joe,

We did that and it is wet so Dad is going to change the modulator. I will let you know if it works.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

how did the new modulator workout for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He's going to do that today. When he takes the bolt off does the modulator unscrew or pull out or what and will the transmission leak fluid when he takes off the modulator?

Thanks Joe!! We appreciate the help. When Dad is done with this I will send more money because you have been so wonderful!

Thank you,

Dad's Daughter Jerri
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Modulator should come right out..you will lose a little transmisson fluid, but not alot.. as far as sending more money,,, i appreciate that, but you dont have to do that.. I'm just glad i was able to help
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Also, another expert has informed me that the blue smoke will not clear right up.. it will take time to get this threw the system... in the meantime make sure you also get the engine oil changed as the transmission fluid has gotten into the crankcase..