Matt Mallard
Matt Mallard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years auto mechanical repair, 8 years auto insurance estimating, repair shop negotiations

pickup: freeway, grand-daughter kicks stick shift..5th..loud metal

Customer Question

i have a mazda pickup 89.. i was driving on freeway, grand-daughter kicks stick shift while in fifth gear and when i attempt to put back in gear i've lost 5th.. then when i get off freeway i have found myself with no gears.. let cool down, now it goes into 1-4th gear but when i try to drive truck it makes a very loud metal hitting sound.. not sure what this could be
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt Mallard replied 7 years ago.
I'm afraid that though it is very unusual for this to happen from popping it out of gear under load, there is likely internal damage to the transmission.
I have seen this on high mileage manuals and in fact, had an S-10 end up with a bent shift fork the same way.

Nothing that you are describing points to a clutch but either way, this transmission will need to come out.

Was there any whining coming from the transmission leading up to this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey matt, whinning what so ever.. everything was fine until the stickshift was kicked forward.

I'm afraid that the trans will need to come out on this one.
Once that Grand-daughter gets to running good, get her on a soccer team.

Please let me know if you have any other info or questions.