Matt Mallard
Matt Mallard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years auto mechanical repair, 8 years auto insurance estimating, repair shop negotiations
18065075

1999 Mazda protege: drivers side mirror..step instructions

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mazda protege and need to replace the driver's side mirror (this is a manual mirror). Need step-by-step instructions. Will order mirror on-line
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt Mallard replied 5 years ago.
I actually found the quoted info below on another post so cannot take complete credit for the detail. You will not likely need it though.

Before going to far into it though, the plastic cover on the inside of the door, behind the mirror should pry off easily. First make sure that there is not a small round plug in it. If so, that needs to come off to access the screw. Once the cover is removed, the mirror bolts should be visible. You may likely need a socket with extension and will need to be careful not to drop them into the door. Hopefully, you will have access from this point and will not need to go to the info below which is how to remove the entire door panel.
When you install the new mirror, make sure that the sealing strip is in place and in good condition.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other info or questions for this repair.

"Remove plug from upper rear side of door. If you pull out the post slightly out from the sleeve, then the sleeve can come out - it's all one piece. Pry off the triangular cover that is above the panel and covers the backside of the mirror mount. You need to do this to eventually lift up the panel. Then peek arount he edges of the panel to pop out or pry out the nylon plugs that anchor the panel to the door. Do this carefully so you don't damage the panel. Next unscrew the handle cover. You'll see the lever handle is attached to the latch rod with a nylon sleeve over the upturned hook on the rod. I squeezed the nylon post pices together to allow tha handle to slide off. The nylon post is also clipped to the rod. Rotate this off the rod and it will be easier. When you peek in it will be self-evident. I found this the hardest pice to get back on. Do this carefully to not lose or break the little nylon sleeve. Next you need to find the screws that secure the panel. This is where I am vague on where and how many but they should be visible as you go. The first is totally visible. The next is found when you pop off the soft vinyl arm rest starting from the back. The next and last is a vinyl covered screw visible in the upper right of panel. "
Matt Mallard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 15 years auto mechanical repair, 8 years auto insurance estimating, repair shop negotiations
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a plastic covering on the inside of the door opposite the mirror. There is no plug so I assume the covering will pry off? It appears, then it is a matter of losening the bolts?
Yes it should pry off without a great deal of pressure. You can start with a small, flathead screw driver and may want to wrap a piece of cotton cloth around the tip as not to mar anything as you pry. I would start at the top corner. It is likely held with small clips on the back side. Once removed, there may be a piece of clear plastic that peels off and if so, you will want to re-use this.
You will then see 2-3 nuts attached to the studs in the mirror. You may have to look through holes or slots in the door shell to see the mirror studs and nuts. That is why a socket w/ extension is likely needed.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this.
Good luck!