CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
A new question is answered every 9 seconds warning light icon with the car outline

I just bought a 02 maserati spyder. The ride over a washboard road is very brittle, and the suspension is NOT even in the sport mode. The red warning light icon with the car outline the the up and down arrows showing suspension failure is on. I was told that this light does not necessarily mean that the Skyhook suspesion has failed. Is this true? what could be wrong. Could this just be how the spyder normally is over a lumy road? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  CarDoc replied 7 years ago.
I have two thoughts here. I work on a few later model Maseratis, and yes, they're quite stiff even with sport mode off.

1) washboard roads are going to be very bumpy in this car, but not unbearably so. This brings me to point #2
2) you're going to need to bring your car to a dealer or independent who has the ability to interface with ths suspension control computer in your car in order to determine the fault. This is not something that an individual can do without $1000's of dollars of test equipment.

Now, with both of these things in mind, did you buy your car from a Maserati franchise dealer?
Do you have one reasonably close by?
How long have you had the car and how many miles have you put on it since buying the car?
How many miles total are on the car?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Car Doc'

Thanks. I was aniticipating that you would say to plug in to the diagnostic computer. I have an independent semi- close by. BTW are you located in So. California? I did not buy the car from a franchised dealer, and it has 26K miles. I did not drive this car more than 100 miles.
Expert:  CarDoc replied 7 years ago.

I would first suggest that you contact the selling dealer and stress that this is something that they need to correct. There should have been some warranty documentation that came with the car, related to certain components that a used car dealer is required to cover under warranty. Then again, I'm just assuming that you bought it from a dealer rather than an individual.

Unfortunately, no. I'm about as far away from you as possible, in the continental US. I'm in the Western NY area.

If your independent has the correct scan tool available, then I would suggest at least getting the suspension problem read out, and then I could suggest a plan of attack to correct the problem.