Benimur
Benimur,
13948492

A bosch 24 V alternator for use as a charger for a set..regulator

How do I wire a bosch 24 V alternator for use as a charger for a set of 24 V batteries. The alternator is an AL0722X with intergrated regulator. Any suggestions? Glenn.
Category: Car
Expert:  Benimur replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Offhand, if it were a single battery, then the alternator output to the + terminal and the body of the alternator to the - terminal.

If it would charge a number of batteries, then the integrated regulator would have to be removed. The + output of the internal diodes would be wired directly to the output terminal. Basically, the Bosch AL0722X is now producing an unregulated DC output. Each battery to be charged would require each own charging/regulator circuit. The inputs of each circuit would tap on the unregulated alternator output. The output of each
charging/regulator circuit would then feed the individual battery. All the batteries, regulator/charging circuitry and the alternator would share a common ground. The reason for individual charging controller (circuit) is to isolate the batteries from each other. Hence, one battery could be getting a full charging current while another would be a trickle. Additionally, the isolatiion would not cause the condition of any single battery to affect that of the others.

This is of course assuming that the batteries are not wired in series nor parallel but separate from each other except for the ground.

Hope that this be of initial help/idea. Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My question was the wiring of the W and the D+ terminal. I was under the impression this model had an integrated regulator. Is this true? I purchased a brand new alternator and it isn't doing anything with the W terminal connected to the + terminal and it gets warm and shorts the circuit deadening the battery. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks. Glenn.
Expert:  Benimur replied 5 years ago.
I replied to this post when it was posted under electronics, hence my response of electronic circuits. Now that it has been re-cetegorized under cars, I would have to opt out to enable the car experts to attend to your question.
Benimur,
Experience: