jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

cabriolet: top is down and the trunk is stuck shut.

Customer Question

We have a 1991 944S cabriolet. The top is down and the trunk is stuck shut. Sunset Porsche here in Portland doesn't know what to do. They want to cut a whole in the bottom of the car to get into the trunk. It seems like there must be an easier way. We've tried turning the key and pulling up hard but this doesn't work.
Category: Car
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 5 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer

By all means DONT let them cut a hole in the bottom of your vehicle!!I cant even believe they would suggest this to you... You should certainly find an experienced locksmith and have him give it a try...worst case scenario if the lock cant be released,he will be able to remove the cylinder and tumblers and access the release mechanism in this manner....the failure is most likely in the release mechanism and there may even be something either jammed or obstructing it....once the cylinder and tumblers are removed you can gain access to this component and should be able to manually release it...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jeff

That confirms what we thought but can you think of any other way to open the trunk? Are you familiar with the 94r
Yes...I am familiar with your vehicle...only other thought that comes to mind is to try prying the lid up while holding the key in the unlock position...problem being you dont want to inflict any body and/or paint damage in the process...There are plastic prying tools made especially for interior dash work when removing radios and ACC panels...available at any auto supply store...might give this a try...I would however recommend using towels,blankets or fender covers to eliminate the risk of scratches or markings in the paint...I would still recommend having a professional do the job for you...jsut to avoid the risk of doing permanent cosmetic damage to the vehicle...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The answers confirmed our own point of view but didn't really offer any solution. I was hoping to hear from someone who might know more about Porches and how to actually get the trunk open. I'm sorry but that's how I feel about it.