Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

2001 oldsmobile bravada: axles..the driver side keeps coming

Customer Question

changed both axles in my 2001 oldsmobile bravada and the driver side keeps coming out of the race
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, when you say coming out of race, on which end are you reffering? hub side or differntial side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
differential side.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
You need to check to be sure the locking ring is on the axle. If so, you have not got the axle in all the way to where it snaps in
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already done that I was looking for a more technical diagnosis. I have been back and forth with this dilema. I was wondering if maybe the differential was locked up and the axle was being forced out somehow.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Does the shaft snap in hard? can you pull it out by hand easily?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the shaft snaps in hard and no I cant pull it out easily by hand I checked that before I put it all back together. I really need an answer soon or I will have to take another route!
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

i have had 2 other experts message me " assist" after they saw the post. Both, say the snap ring must be missing. Here is one I received today. I just do not know beyond that , maybe wrong axle? As you know, they just do not pop out unless a real bad suspension problem , missing snap ring, or wrong axle. Franctly, I have never had this problem.

Quote:

Comments:
The only other thing I can think of is the axle he bought is missing the snap ring that holds the inner joint from sliding off the main shaft. He should get another axle under warranty from his supplier or take the axle apart and inspect for missing parts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know for a fact the snap rings are there i installed the axles myself and inspected for all missing and damaged parts. Just wondering if it maybe my transfer case not working correctly I read somewhere there is a motor that accuates the smart trac could this be the problem and what should I do to fix it?
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Let me research that. Meantime, another experst comment

Comments:
I have seen circumstances where worn / broken motor mounts will allow the transaxle to move enough to allow the axle to pop out. If everything else looks good this may be an option.