Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

1985 porsche carrera: the car sits in the garage..jump start

Customer Question

i have a 1985 porsche carrera, when the car sits in the garage for more than two day, the car will not start. i have to jump start it or charge the battery. after i do those things, the next two or three day, it does the same things all over again. could you tell me how to test the battery to see if i can identify the battery drain.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, There is really only 2 ways to test the battery. You need to buy a battery load tester at most any parts store, not too much$ or you can remove the battery making sure you have fully charged battery and take to most any parts store and have tested. Usually for free. As far as the draw, if there is one. Be sure you are working with a good battery first. then you cana take off the negative side terminal and connect a 12v voltmeter between the NEG- terminal end and the NEG- battery post. Set meter to 12 v. You will get a voltage reading. If you see a full 12v, you have a draw. However, there will always be some sort of draw depending on any computer that has 12v memory supply and the alternator usually will show draw all the time. Amperage is the way to truly check but does require expensive tool. You can unplug the alternator to eliminate that from fooliing you. If you still show full 12 v on the meter, start removing fuses one at a time till you see the meter fall below 12v. That will indicate the circuit of the draw. I always ask customers to be sure any trunk, hatch or glove box lights are going off when closed. I suspect you have a bad or weak battery just not able to hold chage for more than a few days. Oops , I just saw you have a new battery. Well, do the draw test and see if you can narrow down. LMK and thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

forgive me , the answer you gave me is fine.i am trying to pay for the answer. may have not hit the right botton

Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
You did and all is ok. I will be on off all day. If you need me again, just add to post and i will help. You will not have to start new post and pay again. Thanks. BTW you do not need to hit accept again :)