Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
A new question is answered every 9 seconds Wheel Bearings and front right cv joint failed

Customer Question

I just took my 03' RR to have the Maryland Inspection as was told my Wheel Bearings and front right CV joint failed. Are these expensive repairs and should I have the worked performed at the dealer or are other repair facilities okay?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

This operation is a difficult one if the shop does not have the press tool to remove the bearing from the steering knuckle and the race from the hub assembly. Some shops use a regular press; however, due to the configuration of the knuckle assembly, a press makes it difficult. We have a on car press, that is named wrong at times. Still have to remove the knuckle and do it on the bench, but the kit is much easier than the stand up press and will not cause damage to the knuckle if there is a problem of "slippage" on the stand up press.

We are here 2 hours from everything, so we stepped up to the plate and bought the kit. I can keep my European car work in town. Kit paid for itself in about a month.

As far as the axle, that is pretty much straight foreword. Ask you shop if they have the needed equipment and have them show you. If not, go to the dealer.

Hope this was the info your looking for.