Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

06 FX45: Battery is strong, just fueled the car last thing..starter

Customer Question

Can't get my '06 FX45 to turn over this morning. Battery is strong, just fueled the car last thing last night (w/ premium fuel), the starter sounds active, it just won't catch. any quick suggestions? i need to get to work!
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, If you look under hood while someone cranks car and belts are going round, then your starter is ok. If so, you may have lost spark or fuel supply. To test on your own. remove the Big black hose going to engine throttle body. Just remove the end attached to engine. Get some carb cleaner and gently spray into the throttle car body on engine. Quickly slip the big hose back on throttle body and immeditely crank engine. You do not need to tighten the clamp on the hose to do this, just slip it back on quickly and crank. If car starts and then stalls, your spark is good but you are not getting fuel. What may have happened is when a fuel pump is running in the gas tank, it is cooled by the fuel itself. When you turn car off and refill tank, the fuel pump gets hit with very cold fresh gas. If pump is weak, this is when they take a hit and fail. We have picked up more cars with bad fuel pumps at the gas pump or shortly therafter a fillup. I hope this make sense. Anything above a bad fuel pump , you should make shop arrangements as a scanner will need to be hooked up to car for more diagnostic. I am trying to help you do some of the preliminary diag work yourself.