DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic

Wagon: 4wd..a slight oil leak from the front seal..exhaust

Customer Question

just purchased a 1994 pajero wagon 4wd and have been driving it for a few days, there seems to be a slight oil leak from the front seal of the rear diff, the oil is spraying on to the exhaust and I noticed the smell, how serious is the leak going to be and roughly whats involved (cost wise) to fix it??
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA.

If you don't take care of the leak now, you might loose the whole differential and can cost you more than it should if you take care of it now. If the leak is coming from the front of the car and there is no other issue besides that, the repair should not cost you more than $350.00 Parts and labor, I'm not sure what is the price range in your state, but in my location the rough estimate on that kind of job is $250.00 to $350.00