Eric Blandford
Eric Blandford, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Been in the automotive field for over 16 years, worked with Saturn, GM and Honda
16705999

Why does my car shut off when i hit the brake

Customer Question

why does my car shut off when i hit the brake
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric Blandford replied 7 years ago.

Has it just started doing this, does it turn over normal ( not slow) when you try to start it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it turns over like normal i get going then when i need to slow down for a turn or stop sign or light it powers down (any time i hit the brakes). Once i come to a complete stop it lets me turn the car back on
Is this car a five speed or automatic?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
5-speed
Does it die when you hit the cluch coming to a stop?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
only once, it lets me coast with the clutch but i tried downshifting once to stop and it cut out. I very rarely hit the brake without pushing in the clutch first
Well I had a 5 speed car that did the same thing what the problem was a bad IAC valve. That is a small motor on the intake of the engine that the pcm uses to control the engine speed when your not on the gas. If this motor is going bad or sticking so it can't let enough air into the engine to keep it from dieing when your slowing down. The best ting to do is go to a shop and have the IAC valve check and see if it may be sticking.